Wednesday, November 5, 2008

O NO!

Impressive?

Democratic Senator Barack Obama has received celebrity endorsements throughout his successful campaign to become president of the US.

Here are reactions to his election victory from some of those celebrity supporters.

TALK SHOW HOST OPRAH WINFREY

"It feels like hope won. It feels like it's not just victory for Barack Obama. It feels like America did the right thing.

"It feels like there's a shift in consciousness. It feels like something really big and bold has happened here, like nothing ever in our lifetimes did we expect this to happen.

"It feels like anything is now possible."

RAP MOGUL P DIDDY

"I felt like my vote was the vote that put him into office. It was down to one vote, and that was going to be my vote.

"And that may not be true but that's how much power it felt like I had."

R&B STAR USHER

"This will go down in history, in black history, for all of the sacrifices that the great Joseph Lowery and Martin Luther King made, this actually pays off for their sacrifice. The great Rosa Parks.

"So many people sacrificed for us to have a voice. It was one thing to have a voice but, to eventually know the best way to use it and then it grows into this, it's just incredible.

"I'm speechless. I don't even know what to say."

COMEDIAN EDDIE IZZARD

"It's fantastic, as I'm someone who would have voted for Obama but I can't.

"I find it very exciting to be here [in the US] because I'm someone who knows how it works in the UK and, here, it's slightly different but essentially the same and it's just been great to watch it go down."

UK-BASED US COMEDIAN DAVE FULTON

"After living in the UK for eight years and having to put up with all the stick from my comedian friends about America and all the jokes, it's so nice to finally go: 'See? Our country works'.

"Now and then we can get it right, so I'm totally digging it - it's fantastic."

FALL OUT BOY BASSIST PETE WENTZ

"I would not be standing here actually in reality, at all, because my parents met working for [vice president elect] Biden.

"They met on a campaign so they have this particular affection for Joe - he came to their wedding. If it weren't for Joe Biden, I would not exist as a human being."

BRITISH ACTOR KWAME KWEI-ARMAH

I think it really is important for people who are bi-racial to understand that this can be achieved and also for people who are black.

He describes himself as black - it's a wonderful achievement for us but it's also a wonderful achievement for the world and America.

COMEDIAN RICKY GERVAIS

"I think it's the most exciting election for Americans, from what I've heard, 'cos it's a clean break and just everything about Obama's so charismatic.

"David Brent would vote for Barack Obama. Definitely. He'd love to be on the side of the fact this could change the American landscape."

No comments: