Monday, May 19, 2008

Cheap Trick

Barack is trying to play the tough, protective Harry Truman type, telling republicans that it's not appropriate to go after Michelle:
The Illinois senator was responding to an online ad run by the Tennessee GOP that, during a four-minute video, replays six times Michelle Obama's comment that "for the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country."
But Michelle has been a busy, outspoken proponent of Barack's candidacy and his philosophy. She's not Rose Kennedy having teas:
Obama said that if he wins the nomination, Republicans "can say whatever they want to say about me, my track record. But, he added, "if they think that they're going to try to make Michelle an issue in this campaign, they should be careful, because I find unacceptable the notion that you start attacking my wife or my family."
It's a good performance, but one that's misplaced. A candidate's wife is going to take some heat when she's cooking in this kind of kitchen:
“We don’t like being pushed outside of our comfort zones. You know it right here on this campus. You know, people sitting at different tables — you all living in different dorms. I was there.

“You’re not talking to each other, taking advantage that you’re in this diverse community. Because sometimes it’s easier to hold on to your own stereotypes and misconceptions. It makes you feel justified in your own ignorance. That’s America. So the challenge for us is, are we ready for change?”

The man from hope can bob and weave with the best of them. Here's the video:

1 comment:

JudyK said...

I heard a recording of Michelle making a speech at that hate church saying the only way to get rid of whites is to eradicate them. Unless it was someone faking to be Michelle, I heard the tape myself.