Saturday, May 31, 2008

Pfleger/Wright TV Commercial

Everyone remembers the Swift Boat ads of 4 years ago and the huge impact made by that campaign to undermine John Kerry. That sort of attack during a presidential race, paid for by independent organizations not connected to the candidates or the parties, will likely play a big role this year as well.

I love imagining the TV ads that will be run against Barack Obama. All the polling and speculation right now seems meaningless, because the underbelly of Barack, while partially exposed, has not yet been exploited.

Consider this one, which I call the "Character" ad.
Announcer: There's an old saying that you can judge a man's character by the company he keeps.

Clip of Pastor Wright: "It's not God Bless America, it's God Damn America!"

Announcer: "Last year, Barack Obama gave $26,270 to Reverend Wright's Trinity Church."

Clip of Pastor Wright: "Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run."

Announcer: "And the year before, Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, gave $22,500 to Pastor Wright."

Clip of Michelle: "And let me tell you something. For the first time in my adult life, I'm really proud of my country."

Announcer: "Barack Obama spent 20 years attending Reverend Wright's sermons each week."

Clip of Barack: "Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes."

Announcer: "Barack Obama wants to be President of the United States."

Clip of Pastor Wright: “Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich, white people. ”

Announcer: "But do we really know him well enough to trust him with the most important job in the world?"
I know that every force in the country is aligned in such a way that Republican defeat should be unavoidable in this fall's presidential election. But I still can't imagine how Barack doesn't get crushed by McCain.

No comments: