Friday, May 23, 2008

Pastor Problem

Are all pastor problems created equal? Methinks not.
Senator John McCain on Thursday rejected the endorsement of the Rev. John C. Hagee, a televangelist, after a watchdog group released a recording of a sermon in which Mr. Hagee said Hitler and the Holocaust had been part of God’s plan to chase the Jews from Europe and drive them to Palestine.
Barack is wagging his tail like a hound on the hunt over this, as if McCain's Pastor Problem equals Barack's Pastor Problem. McCain begs to differ:
“I have said I do not believe Senator Obama shares Reverend Wright’s extreme views,” Mr. McCain said in his statement. “But let me also be clear, Reverend Hagee was not and is not my pastor or spiritual adviser, and I did not attend his church for 20 years.”
Big difference. Also different is McCain's ability to speak frankly about the matter and make a definitive sort of statement that folks can relate to without having to call for any national day of reflection on religion:

"Obviously, I find these remarks and others deeply offensive and indefensible, and I repudiate them. I did not know of them before Reverend Hagee's endorsement, and I feel I must reject his endorsement as well," he said.

Later, in Stockton, he told reporters: "I just think that the statement is crazy and unacceptable."

No great soul searching required. What a relief. So while Barack thinks McCain's Pastor provides cover for him, it just may be that McCain's minor pastor issues allow him to keep people thinking and talking about Reverend Wright.

I'm just saying...

No comments: